It's the first Friday the 13th of 2020! When it comes to Friday the 13th superstitions and folklore abound and for some, it is too creepy to handle.
We've gathered up 13 fun and freaky facts to help you celebrate Friday the 13th!
- Friday the 13th can actually fall into place up to three times per year.
- Paraskevidekatriaphobia is a real phobia. Those who suffer from it fear Friday the 13th.
- Triskaidekaphobia is the fear of the number 13 itself.
- At least 10% of the population in the U.S. fears Friday the 13th dates, believing something bad will happen.
- On Friday, October 13, 1972, Uruguayan Flight 571 crashed in the Andes. The film Alive, released in 1993, told the tale of the Uruguayan rugby team that survived the crash and ultimately resorted to cannibalism to survive.
- Most tall buildings do not have a 13th floor.
- Many celebrities have been born on Friday the 13th - including Alfred Hitchcock, Christopher Plummer, Steve Buscemi, Frances Conroy, Peter Tork and more!
- The movie series, Friday the 13th, included 12 installments and each one did well in the box office. The villain, Jason Voorhees, dies in every movie.
- Friday, October 13, 1989, is often referred to as "black Friday" following a mini-crash of the stock market.
- Across the country, flights are typically cheaper when the 13th falls on a Friday.
- Any month that begins with a Sunday will have a Friday the 13th.
- On Friday, September 13, 1940, the Nazis dropped a bomb on Buckingham Palace. The Royal family was not harmed.
- By some accounts, nearly $900 million is lost each time the 13th falls on a Friday because many are afraid to work and travel on that date.
Regardless of how you choose to spend your day - be it by avoiding black cats and ladders or by just going about your business - enjoy it! It's Friday! This morning, Nordic airline, Finnair, flew the final flight 666 (the airline is retiring the flight number) from Copenhagen, Denmark to Helsinki, Finland. Yes, you read that right. This was the last time Flight 666 would travel to HEL and everyone survived.