Ten years can seem like a blip or an eternity depending on your perspective. Whichever way you look at it, you can’t deny it was certainly an interesting decade!
The 2010s brought:
- Not one but TWO royal weddings
- Gangnam style
- Ice bucket challenge…the cup challenge… the plank challenge….
- Pokemon Go
- Fidget spinners
- The Dress Debate – black and blue? Gold and white?
- The Women’s March
The decade was made up of more than just unusual viral/social trends – it was also a decade of some pretty incredible scientific discoveries!
- In 2017 researchers discovered that we can “hear” the universe by listening to gravitational waves
- Dinosaurs may have shed their skin in small pieces rather than all at once – finding a snakeskin is one thing, but can you imagine finding an entire dinosaur skin?
- A duck-billed dinosaur, Kamuysaurus japonicus, was found to have lived in Japan
- Sea turtles have a soft spot on their skull that serves as a skylight allowing them to observe the sunlight changes that signify seasons changing. This “third eye” helps turtles know when it’s’ time to migrate
- Venus may once have been a habitable planet
- An inedible fruit, Pollia condensate, was discovered to be the most intensely colored biological tissue ever studied
- Pluto has floating mountains
- Bacteria can conduct electricity
- Scientists have been able to link genes Chrm 1 and Chrm 3 to be the source of sleep dreams
Interested in even more interesting facts and discoveries? Read the full article here.
The world we live in today has changed dramatically since the last time we were in the ’20s. With each decade that passes our society changes and advances. It’s hard to imagine what might be in store for us over the next decade – the sky is the limit!