10. "Websites promote you 24/7. No employee will do that." – Paul Cookson
Your firm's web space is your portal for information to engage audiences. Media coverage, commentaries, and other content can be posted here to keep advisors coming back.
9. "Technology is just a tool." – Bill Gates
Use marketing automation software to keep you message in front of thousands of investors simultaneously. Webinars, social media, and videos are also communications tools that you should not ignore.
8. "You have to get up pretty early in the morning to invent the news." – Lauren Beukes
Work with reporters that influence your target audiences to create stories that feature your brand. Good coverage can attract leads and add credibility to your other efforts.
7. "Focus on how to be social, not how to do social." – Jay Baer
Develop a variety of content across various platforms that will interest your audiences. Don't forget about newer media formats like videos, and cross-post content across your channels.
6. "Networking is more about 'farming' than it is about 'hunting.' It's about cultivating relationships." – Ivan Misner
The best way to turn contacts into relationships is by using a CRM database. You can also integrate your sales aggregation data into your CRM to keep track of sales flows.
5. "The main ingredient of stardom is the rest of the team." - John Wooden
There are many models of sales teams that include internals who set up meetings and provide support, externals who travel to meet with advisors, and hybrids who perform both internal and external roles. Compensation and management of your team will remain two major challenges.
4. "Trust your story." - Neil Gaiman
Survey your existing clients as well as advisors who don't know your firm yet to help determine what makes your firm unique or how your fund can be used in a portfolio. Then, tell your story consistently across all of your communication channels.
3. "My stars will align or I'll reach up and align them myself." – Nav K
Make sure your share classes make sense for your ideal client and your fees are aligned with those of your competition.
2. "The odds of hitting your target go up dramatically when you aim at it." – Mal Pancoast
Use data tools like sales aggregators to understand your existing clients and identify likely new prospects.
1. "A goal is a dream with a deadline." - Napoleon Hill
Setting specific goals for increasing AUM is the first step to improving your distribution strategy. It helps to assess where your firm is currently and where you'd like to be in six, twelve, or eighteen months.